15 January 2014

in the studio today

Another intriguing day in the studio.

Recently, I have been working for a stronger synthesis of drawing and painting in my work. The drawing has always been there, but ultimately buried under painting. Now I am striving to keep drawing alive throughout the process. By "drawing" I do not mean merely traditional drawing media (charcoal, graphite, chalk....), or conventional use of line, though these are elements in this evolving method. By drawing I mean a continuously refreshed engagement with composition and development of the imagery. Here is one of the first pieces I have resolved in this fashion. Given the naturally muted palette of this imagery, incorporating the graphite as line and value came readily. We'll see what arises in other seasons and scenarios.

[Delivered, 2013. Mixed media on wood panel, 10x8". (sold)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers